South American Handbook
by Ben Box
Published: 26th Oct 2017
Size: 115 X 184 mm
Number of pages: 1824
About this book
South America will uplift your senses with the tropical sun rising over a palm-fringed beach, or a bracing wind blowing off the southern ice fields. Light can be blinding on the high-altitude salt flats, or dense and green in the rain forest. The gentle scent of the ripe guava fills the countryside, but the fire of chilli from that innocent-looking jar will electrify your taste buds.
Explore the cities of prehispanic civilizations and the churches of colonial times, immerse yourself in the present with its celebrations and social dilemmas. Where past and present mix, there are festivals, crafts and gastronomy, from the humble potato in its umpteen varieties to the most sophisticated of wines.
If you are looking for something more active, throw yourself off a giant sand dune into a lake, or climb the highest mountain. Walk in the tree-tops of the rainforest, at eye level with birds and monkeys, dance in an Andean village square to a solo violin, or to techno brega in a warehouse-sized club in Belem. Whatever South America inspires you to do, you will find that there is no limit to the passion that it fires within you.
In this era of countless websites which bring images and information from every barrio and pueblito, the South American Handbook gives the details on how to navigate between each place, big or small. It is a celebration of the spirit of adventure and independence that characterizes travel in this part of the world. Drawing on the expertise of correspondents in the region and the experiences of travellers, this 94th edition of the Handbook provides the thread from Acandi to Ushuaia and everywhere you may wish to stop off in between.
The guide provides comprehensive coverage of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, the Guianas, and the Falkland Islands.
* Extensive coverage of the most famous and lesser-known sites, from the awe-inspiring Machu Picchu and iconic Christ the Redeemer to the wilderness of the Guianas and rolling hills of Uruguay
* Highlights section so you know what not to miss
* Practical information on how to get to each country and around, plus suggested itineraries to help you plan your trip, whether you are travelling for a week or a month
* Well-researched cultural and historical background sections available as an online resource
* Tips for travelling with your kids
* Overview map for each country and region which includes ‘Don’t miss’ destinations, local information on how to get around and detailed street maps where relevant
* Authoritative advice and recommendations to ensure you find the best accommodation, restaurant or local tour operator
Footprint’s legendary South American Handbook covers the continent in amazing detail, enabling you to explore for yourself. From spectacular carnivals to shuddering glaciers, this guide will open your way to the irresistible spirit of the world’s greatest continent.
About the Author
Ben Box has been working on the South American Handbook for over 30 years and is a Latin America expert. Ben has contributed to newspapers, magazines and learned tomes, usually on the subject of travel, and has also been involved in Footprint’s Central America & Mexico, Caribbean Islands, Brazil and Peru since their inception. Having a doctorate in Spanish and Portuguese studies from London University, Ben maintains a strong interest in Latin American literature and culture.
Additional InformationTable of Contents
1) Planning your trip
13) Falkland Islands/Islas Malvinas
15) Colour Maps