Bangalore & Karnataka
by David Stott
Publication Date: 23rd Mar 2015
About this book
Karnataka is home to high-tech metropolises, ancient Hindu temples, ornate Islamic palaces, charming British boulevards and a vast countryside where time stands still – for now, at least. Footprint’s Bangalore & Karnataka will take you from Karnataka’s cultural wonders to its little-visited coastline, lush with river estuaries and mangrove swamps which rival Kerala’s backwaters. This guide includes listings on the best places to eat and sleep, plus information on tours and activities.
* Practicalities section with useful advice on getting to and around Karnataka
* Comprehensive, up-to-date listings of where is best to eat, sleep and relax
* Includes information on tour operators and activities from fishing to yoga
* Detailed maps for Bangalore and other key destinations
* Slim enough to fit in your pocket
With comprehensive coverage of all the main sights, plus information on activities to take you off the beaten path, Footprint Bangalore & Karnataka is the ideal companion to this intriguing region of India.
About the Author
South India-born and raised in the vibrant suburbs of Peterborough, writer and photographer David Stott acquired his taste for India in the womb. At the age of 28 he finally discovered the variety and diversity of flavours at which butter chicken had merely hinted and since his first visit he’s become an annual visitor to India, steadily learning to tell his chole from his bhature and establishing a serious addiction to masala dosas along the way. David now splits his time between India and his adopted home in vibrant suburban Sydney, where the pace of life is such that he occasionally has to pinch himself to make sure he’s awake.
Additional InformationTable of Contents
1) Planning your trip
2) Bengaluru [Bangalore] (Around Bengaluru)
3) Mysore & Southern Maidan (Mysore [Mysuru]; Around Mysore; Coorg [Kodagu])
4) Western Plateau (Western Plateau temples; Central Maidan)
5) West Coast (Mangalore [Mangaluru]; Karnataka’s Sapphire Coast)
6) Northern Karnataka (Hampi-Vijayangar; Bijapur [Vijayapura]; Cradle of Hindu architecture; Gulbarga [Kalburgi]; Bidar; Raichur)
8) Practicalities (Getting there; Getting around; Where to stay; Food & drink; Essentials A-Z; Useful words & phrases; Index; Credits)