Roam Alone: Inspiring tales by reluctant solo travellers Terms & Conditions
1. By entering this competition you agree to be bound by these rules.
2. No purchase is necessary.
3. The competition will be launched on 28th July 2016. All entries must be received by midnight BST on the closing date, 31st October 2016.
4. Only one entry per person is permitted.
5. The competition is open to all. Entrants may be published or unpublished writers and may live outside the UK.
How to Enter
6. To enter the competition you must submit a piece of writing of between 1000 and 2000 words on the theme: Roam Alone: Inspiring tale by reluctant solo travellers.
7. The book will probably be divided into five sections, but stories need not fit into these categories:
- Hard adventure
- Small group travel
- The silver solo traveller
- Expedition cruising
8. For full instructions, and to enter, please visit http://www.bradtguides.com/articles/roam-alone
9. Registration is required for entry.
10. Entries must be received by midnight on 31st October 2016, (although entries will be reviewed and selected as they come in, so try not to leave it to the last minute).
11. We aim to compile a shortlist by December, and complete the final selection by the end of the year (by which time we should have notified all entrants, whether successful or not).
12. Each winning entrant will see their entry published in the book (provisionally titled Roam Alone: Inspiring tales by reluctant solo travellers), receive a small fee and two complimentary copies of the book.
13. Bradt Travel Guides Ltd shall include the author’s name and a short biography at the end of the tale.
14. Winning entrants must communicate directly with Bradt about the prize.
15. The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and is not redeemable for cash or other prizes.
Intellectual property and other rules about entries
16. Your competition entry must be all your own work. It must not contain any third-party content or infringe the copyright of any third party and it must not be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. We reserve the right to exclude entries from the competition that we consider, in our sole discretion, to be in breach of this clause.
17. There is no bar to submitting previously published pieces, as long as the rights have now reverted to you. Please provide details of the previous publication with your submission, and confirm that you currently own the rights to the work.
18. The winners grant Bradt an exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide right to publish the material, together with all accrued rights of action in any form and in any language (including all present and future media and formats) and all subsidiary rights including but not limited to serial quotation and translation rights and the right to use extracts in publicity, for a period of three years from publication of Roam Alone (unless otherwise agreed with the publisher), after which such rights become non-exclusive and the author may grant rights to another publisher provided that the author shall credit Bradt Travel Guides Ltd and Roam Alone as the original publisher. Bradt Travel Guides Ltd may assign its rights under this agreement. Notwithstanding the above, the author retains copyright and all proprietary rights in the author’s text, and Bradt Travel Guides Ltd retains copyright in the anthology. For the avoidance of doubt there will be no payment for such licences.
19. The winners authorise the project editor of the book to make such amendments and edits to the entries as are judged necessary for publication.
20. We reserve the right to publish the names of the Winners and the winning entries themselves, and the Winners are required to give their full co-operation to all requests by the promoters in connection with publicity for the competition and their entry.
21. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change the rules of the competition while it is running if it appears equitable or appropriate to do so. This may include extending the closing date whereupon there will be an announcement of any such extension at the first reasonable opportunity.
22. No correspondence, unless initiated by Bradt, will be entered into or comment issued on any matters concerning the competition and no reasons given for any decision made by the judges.
23.These terms and conditions shall be governed by and interpreted according to English law and the English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to deal with any disputes arising in connection with them.
24. Promoter: Bradt Travel Guides, 1st Floor, IDC House, The Vale, Chalfont St Peter, Bucks, SL9 9RZ.