Beastly Journeys competition - terms and conditions of entry
Terms & Conditions
1. By entering this competition you agree to be bound by these rules.
2. No purchase is necessary.
3. All competition entries must be received by midnight BST on the closing date, 28th August 2017.
4. Only one entry per person is permitted.
5. The competition is open to all. Entrants may be published or unpublished writers and may live outside the UK.
How to Enter
6. To enter the competition you must submit a piece of writing of between 1,000 and 2,000 words on the theme of travelling with an animal or animals. Note that we are not seeking stories simply about wildlife encounters during travel – the tales must include an element of travel with the animal itself, and feature sustained, colourful and personal ‘engagement’.
7. To enter the competition, please email your travel tale (as an attached Word document) to Competitions@bradtguides.com with ‘Beastly Journeys competition’ in the subject field. Please include your name, email address and a daytime telephone number in the body of your email (NOT in the Word document).
8. The competition will be judged anonymously. Please do not include any personal information (including your full name) in your attached Word document.
9. Entrants’ email addresses will be subscribed to our twice monthly newsletter. If you do not wish to be added to this mailing list please include the phrase NO NEWSLETTER in the body of your email entry.
10. For full instructions, and to enter, please visit http://www.bradtguides.com/articles/beastly-journeys .
11. Entries must be received by midnight on 31st October 2017 (although entries will be reviewed and selected as they come in).
12. We aim to compile a shortlist by November, and complete the final selection by the end of the year (by which time we should have notified all entrants, whether successful or not).
13. Each winning entrant will see their entry published in the book (provisionally titled Beastly Journeys), receive a small fee and two complimentary copies of the book.
14. Bradt Travel Guides Ltd shall include the author’s name and a short biography at the end of the tale.
15. Winning entrants must communicate directly with Bradt about the prize.
16. The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and is not redeemable for cash or other prizes.
Intellectual property and other rules about entries
17. Your competition entry must be all your own work. It must not contain any third-party content or infringe the copyright of any third party and it must not be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. We reserve the right to exclude entries from the competition that we consider, in our sole discretion, to be in breach of this clause.
18. There is no bar to submitting previously published pieces, as long as the rights have now reverted to you. Please provide details of the previous publication with your submission, and confirm that you currently own the rights to the work.
19. The winners grant Bradt an exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide right to publish the material, together with all accrued rights of action in any form and in any language (including all present and future media and formats) and all subsidiary rights including but not limited to serial quotation and translation rights and the right to use extracts in publicity, for a period of three years from publication of Beastly Journeys (unless otherwise agreed with the publisher), after which such rights become non-exclusive and the author may grant rights to another publisher provided that the author shall credit Bradt Travel Guides Ltd and Beastly Journeys as the original publisher. Bradt Travel Guides Ltd may assign its rights under this agreement. Notwithstanding the above, the author retains copyright and all proprietary rights in the author’s text, and Bradt Travel Guides Ltd retains copyright in the anthology. For the avoidance of doubt there will be no payment for such licences.
20. The winners authorise the project editor of the book to make such amendments and edits to the entries as are judged necessary for publication.
21. We reserve the right to publish the names of the Winners and the winning entries themselves, and the Winners are required to give their full co-operation to all requests by the promoters in connection with publicity for the competition and their entry.
22. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change the rules of the competition while it is running if it appears equitable or appropriate to do so. This may include extending the closing date whereupon there will be an announcement of any such extension at the first reasonable opportunity.
23. No correspondence, unless initiated by Bradt, will be entered into or comment issued on any matters concerning the competition and no reasons given for any decision made by the judges.
24. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and interpreted according to English law and the English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to deal with any disputes arising in connection with them.
25. Promoter: Bradt Travel Guides, 1st Floor, IDC House, The Vale, Chalfont St Peter, Bucks, SL9 9RZ.