With our travel plans on hold, what better way to explore new cultures than cooking up a storm in the kitchen? This simple recipe for Rodiguan fish curry is perfect for a family dinner and is sure to leave your loved ones clamouring for more.
© Roberto Binetti, Shutterstock
This recipe comes from Les Délices de Rodrigues by Francoise Baptiste, owner of Auberge de la Montagne and La Belle Rodriguaise.
Ingredients (serves 6)
2kg of fish (firm, white fish is best)
5–6 tomatoes (diced)
2 onions (diced)
3 cloves of garlic
sprig of thyme
sprig of parsley
30g of saffron powder
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the fish into slices.
2. Add salt and pepper and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the fish until golden.
4. For the sauce, fry the garlic, ginger, onion, tomatoes and saffron, then add a pinch of salt and one teaspoon of lemon juice.
5. Put the slices of fish into the sauce one at a time.
6. Add the thyme and parsley and half a glass of hot water.
7. Simmer for ten minutes.
8. Serve with rice.
Keen to discover more about Mauritian culture and cuisine? Take a look at our comprehensive guide: